Saturday 13 January 2018

Beyond the Garden Gate

There is a little town near Broken Hill called Silverton. We visited it in 2016. It is a strange and interesting place. Down the road from the pub is an old stone miners cottage. On the side of the cottage someone has repurposed a lovely old garden gate.
The rusty gate attracted me straight away lol! I just knew that I wanted it in a drawing at sometime....that time has arrived.
How to use it? I wanted Magpies.....a favourite bird. I wake every morning to their beautiful melodic warbling and the house over the back has a Magpie apartment block in their backyard tree.....so Maggies it was......dragging out all my reference pics, not a lot of anything too great was apparent so quite a bit of artistic license was used.
And then we got down to a preliminary sketch. It was a bit of a challenge getting a composition I was happy with.....but finally something to work with.
Next transferring it on to my robust drawing paper.
That done. I have started to put down my base colours and block in the design (so I know where I am going lol)

I am hoping for some foliage behind the left hand Magpie but will deal with that next. I think it now has some potential.....she says with great confidence!
Watch this space!
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx

5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous gate, it would look great embroidered. Are your magpies black and white like ours? (Haha - predictive text just changed magpies to nappies! Glad I spotted it!) Anyway, glad you have two for joy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting reading how you process the plans for a new drawing... looking good...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember those garden gates and they always made a squeaking noise when opened. I think the maggies would love perching there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that gate too Michelle, and quick thinking to take a photo of it. It will make a gorgeous composition with the magpies. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be confident, it looks amazing and will only get more amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment and visiting my art blog.