Sunday 5 July 2020

Pale Headed Rosella

I did promise that I would be back sooner but I had not a lot to share with my new project. As it is somewhat challenging and very slow going.
The subject is a beautiful Pale Headed Rosella and when friend Michael offered me his wonderful  photo I knew  I couldn't resist for long, especially as we have a pair that visit our garden regularly. They are so very shy and you often hear them more than you see them. They have a sweet little 'peep' 'peep' call.....I love them and feel honoured when they drop by.
So here are some progress shots of this piece.

This has been the challenge....the burnt out tree trunk the bird is perched on. Challenge though it is, I just love how it looks when its done!
Finally I think I am getting somewhere....although I still need to bring the bird forward more.....working the little grey cells I can tell you!
This is where I am up to at the moment. As you can see more colour has gone on to the Rosella and I am building up the darker layers on the burnt wood.
So more work on it today.
Another gorgeous bird I just had to play with was a free reference photo from wonderful Photographer Gill Merritt. What fun it was to draw something so vibrant and beautiful!
African Lilac Breasted Roller.

This is finding a forever home with a dear friend.
So that is what is I have been up to.....are you finding solace in your art too during this strange time? I find it very calming and restful immersing myself in some drawing and focusing on some of the beautiful creatures in our sad old world.
So keep your pencils sharpened and your brush tips damp and wield them with joy!
Namaste and blessings Michelle xxx





7 comments:

  1. Your art work is stunning Michelle, the burnt wood section of the tree is wonderful, the African bird is stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the Rosella seems to come alive as you draw the background...
    Beautiful coloured African bird.
    Wonderful you can get lost in your art..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosella is coming together beautifully. I do love watching your art 'grow'. What a lucky dear friend to get that roller.... gorgeous...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you do so bring the birds alive. I feel I can touch them. Just amazing. Love watching the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy seeing all that you do. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pencils make a beautiful flower. What a beautiful bird the Rosella is and he/she looks so good against the burnt tree - great work on that! The roller is gorgeous - all those beautiful colours. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment and visiting my art blog.