Thursday 23 January 2020

New Projects

I have several new projects on the go at the moment but they are small studies.....you see the payoff for rain in the subtropics is T-shirt soaking humidity! But I will put up with it for the rain.....it is so welcome.
Thankfully I can take advantage of some air conditioning.
So the projects.....an Oriental Small-clawed Otter. I fell in love with them at Dubbo Zoo......they have the sweetest little faces and sadly are on the threatened species list in Asia.  I had rendered my subject in pastel pencil but always wanted to do it again in coloured pencil.....and I am happy with how it is looking.
I laid down some Pan Pastel as a base for the water and rocks.

All his other whiskers won't go on until the last minute. I am now adding depth and more detail to the shadows and rocks in coloured pencil.  As often happens, you need to sit with what you have done so far, put it somewhere that catches your eye......and usually you can get a better perspective of what isn't working....so that's where Otter is at the moment! What to add! What to take out? What to leave, darken, lighten, change etc.
So! While I ponder I have been working on a small study of a Magpie head....compliments of my son and his resident Magpie family.  It is only 5 inches x 7 inches. Love it!
Last but not least I have prepped a little slice of my favourite spot ..... Sacred Lotus pond at Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens with its gorgeous tiny residents....Eastern Sedge Frogs. Drawing is  transferred and under layers beginning to be laid down.

 Not particularly easy to photograph but you get the picture.
As you can see I have made a good start to my plan for "more art in 2020" and it will keep my pencils working hard.
Enjoy your day.
Namaste and blessings Michelle xxx

5 comments:

  1. 3 lovely pieces in the making.... otters are so sweet, and I love singing magpies … and I have been to see the lotus...all gorgeous subjects
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful art in the making Michelle, love the otter, we have lots of magpie here, lots of young at present running after Mum demanding food!! Enjoy your drawing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the otter..so cute.
    Glad you are enjoying your art.
    The weather is so humid but the rain is most welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful art work, looking forward to seeing the finished works. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes small is good. Lovely to see all you are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment and visiting my art blog.